The purpose of the Rectors work plan is to build the necessary conditions for the fulfillment of the University of Prishtina “Hasan Prishtina” mission. The Center for Teaching Excellence plays a great role to the professional development of the academic staff at the university as a result improvement of teaching toward fulfillment of the university and Rectors mission to provide services and resources that encourage and support the excellent teaching.
Rebuilding the Center for Teaching Excellence at the University of Prishtina ‘Hasan Prishtina”, will contribute directly to the mission of the University, as well as the mission of the Rector to providing resources and support that will enhance the faculty staff development and as a result fulfill the objective 5, the “Improvement of teaching and student services”. When the center will start its operation, will offer:
- Workshops on teaching strategies, styles, methods and other related topics;
- Electronic resource center with various instructional materials on teaching, and various handbooks for teachers;
- Support of faculty toward teaching development, faculty development of new courses, teaching approaches, use of technology and other teaching activities;
- Continuing program to provide assistance to faculty needing aid in individual basis;
The rebuilding of the Center for Teaching Excellence will follow several phases that will allow regular evaluations and modification of the programs toward a sustainable center. The sequent phases will result due to the planning and evaluation of the earlier phases. All of the planed phases of the center will contribute to the mission and vision of the University of Prishtina teaching staff and the implementation of the work program plan of the Rector of University of Prishtina as quickly as possible, while building resources for a fully operational center for teaching excellence.
The first phase will last until the end of the year 2015 and it will involve basic, low-cost steps designed to produce direct contribution to the rebuilding and development of long term plans toward institucionalization of the center for teaching excellence at the University of Pristhina. Starting from March 2015 the phase includes or it will include the following actions:
- On March 3rd, 2015 has appointed a coordinator from the University staff
- Has to establish an advisory committee to work with the coordinator on the centers activates and planning (committee should be established by the end of May)
- To secure an initial budget and attainment of grant support from external sources to aid in the initial activates and development of the center.
The coordinator and Advisory Committee at this point will focus at the start of center for teaching excellence activities as follows:
- Beginning with the analysis of the current state of the CTE, and long term planning with the support of a consultant, possibly provided by the World Learning, USAID Transformation Leadership Program;
- By May 2015 beginning with an instant workshop program brining faculty from the university together on variety of topics related to teaching;
- Regeneratingor producing a website, a brochure and a faculty teaching handbook, by the end of the year;
- Gathering resources for the resource section initially on the webpage and later in print;
- Preparing the development of the CTE program for the future activities;
- Becoming regular member (institutional membership 75 $) toProfessional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD’s);
- Attending conferences or activities connected with the professional development of the coordinator or Advisory Committee of the CTE
The second phase will cover the period from the end of phase I till the end of the year 2016. During this phase the institutionalization of the CTE will be a priority. The center will offer regular program of teaching improvement support and resources for the University of Prishtina “Hasan Prishtina” academic stuff. At this phase the centers activities will still be managed by the Coordinator and the Advisory Committee, however intern opportunities should be open to support the centers administrative activities. During this phase the center is expected to establish the following:
- A regular program of faculty development workshops. This workshop program should include, at the least, specific teaching topics, styles, methods, mentoring, teaching tips, techniques, problems etc.;
- Regular webpage update with serious of publications to support teaching improvement;
- Consulting program where faculty can acquire assistance in enhancing their teaching, preparing teaching and course portfolios and developing courses.
- The budget should be established and expended.
The third and the final phase will attempt to establish a sustainable CTE with a physical center at the University of Prishtina. At this phase a director of the CTE should be appointed as well as the dedicated staff for the Center's activities. By the third year of operation the CTE should have a regular program consisting of a new faculty orientation and development, workshops, publications, a resource library, consulting opportunities and founding faculty development activates.